Should new owner be non-mechanic

I am not an owner yet, but am looking at several cars.
I wonder, should a non-mechanic buy one of these
things. Am I buying a set of problems with 4 wheels.
I do not intend to buy a project car. It will be the
"weekend car". Yes, I can learn to fix anything. I
am a former woodworker and back when Noah was framing
the ark, we rebuilt a 57 chevy. But I don't have a
garage set up for that and I'm not in the market for
projects (heck, I sold the Morgan sailboat)
So should I take up bowling or get a car in good
condition. I am surrounded by foreign car dealers,
VOlvo, Porshe and all that, but I do not get the
impression that normal maintenance is rocket science.
How crazy am I (don't talk to my wife before
answering) Thanks!!