Image of the DeLorean/Startup Manual

A manual on how to correct/watch out for quirks on the DeLorean is
more then a good idea. It has become an overdue concept.

I understand where Mike Pack was comming from when he suggested a
more "gentle" title. Although I don't believe that there should be
any concern about giving the marquee a bad reputation. The DeLorean
is a car that you will either fall in total love with, or you'll just
walk on by. So to be cynical about things, the opinions of those who
do not care for the car couldn't get much worse then they already
are. Those who will end up purchasing DeLorean's are the people who
are not fooled by unfound and negative opinions of the ignorant.
Which brings up another concern, monetary value. Most, if not all of
us here, acquired D's for our personal enjoyment rather then an
investment. A DeLorean shouldn't be considered an investment. This
isn't because our cars don't hold value, it's just that classic cars
in general are not sound investments. But I too do recognize that
situations can arise where someone may choose to sell their car for
whatever reason. And as to be expected, everyone here would want a
premium price for their car if that time came. The answer is not
keeping the cars hidden. All that does is scare people, and does more
damage if someone buys a car and runs into problems that they don't
expect. With the exception of original owners, who here who has
purchased a DeLorean didn't ever feel overwhelmed in those first 4-5
months of ownership? The differance of us keeping our cars vs.
selling them was not only courage, but knowlege as well. As the DML
has progressed over the years that I've been a member, I've seen less
repeat postings for certain issues that were considered "hereditary"
to the car. Less and less are the postings of issues with the trans
governor, broken window regulators, ill closing doors, electrical
problems, and most importantly, engine fires. These problems are
common to the marquee, but not the car. In other words there isn't
anything wrong with the engineering of the car, but there are some
precautions that should be taken when performing repairs (i.e. copper
fuel seals). The DML as a place to exchange both information on
current parts, and ideas for future ones is what has helped to make
the DeLorean that much more enjoyable. Before I joined the DML, I had
never even done an oil change on a car, let alone rebuild my clutch
hydrolics as I did last month. If people see things such as how-to's
on repairs for the car, they will not be scared away. I would rather
see someone who is not comfortable with owning a DeLorean pass one up
rather then purchasing it and becoming miserable with thier ownership
experience. If a person is not prepared to give the car the
maintenance it deserves, then they should not buy the car. This is
just as true for DeLoreans as it is any other car on the road. So
rather then devaluing DeLoreans, we're actually increasing their
value by way of setting a standard. Which is exactly what one of the
intentions of a guide for new owners will accomplish.

A start up/new owner guide can help to make the D an even more
reliable car then it currently is by way of creating a standard that
it should meet. This would greatly boot confidence in the car for
both current and future owners. By creating a list of common items
that can weaken over time/wear and need replacement, repair, tuning,
adjustment, and even lubrication, the random occurance of specific
items failing will be greatly reduced. And to inform owners of
things like precautionary actions while performing repairs and such.
If we can help to stop problems before they start, the DeLorean will
reach a "maintenance only" state much quicker. This in turn will
boost the confidence of the car to create an even better image, any
relationship with our cars.

In the mean time, lets all work together to help out each other with
our cars. Expression is good, but along with that freedom that we
have here on the DML should come the responsibility of courtesy.

-Robert