Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Abato wrote:

> I was driving home (1 hour commute) and the last 5 minutes, I noticed that
> if I took a sharp (or somewhat sharp) right turn, I could hear a rubbing
> sound (like a fan blade scraping something, or the a tire rubbing on the
> body) It came from the front right side of the car (my first thought was
> the tire) but I just drove again, and had the same thing, but noticed I had
> the heater on with the blower set to "1". If I turned it off while turning
> or set it higher, the rubbing sound went away. Is the blower fan for the
> heat located in the front right side of the car? Is this what I am hearing?
> When I shut it off, it slowly went away, when I cranked it to "2" or "3" it
> went away and I could hear the fan with its normal sound.

The fan for the interior heating is on the righthandside of the car,
under the windshield. The actual fanblades are commonly refered to as the
squirell-cage because of the similarity of both.

My gues is that you have a slight imbalance in the fan that causes it to rock
and hit the inside of the case it's in when turning.
Setting the speed higher (you only mention 2 and 3, my D has 4 fanspeeds...)
would give this imbalance less chance to hit anything or it would at least hit
for a shorter period every time thus making it less noticable...

Take a look at section 7:1:0 of the partsmanual to see what it all looks like,
You can reach the fan from under the dash on the passenger side,
the procedure is explained in the workshopmanual in section N:08:01.

I'd remove the fan first to see if it has any damage on the "cage",
this would be evidence of rubbing. Also, with the fan removed,
you can go for a drive to see if the sound is gone now...
If not, re-install it and look for another possible cause.

My guess is it IS the interior fan.
Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...