RE: [DML] Daily drivers? - & typical problems

RE: [DML] Daily drivers? - & typical problems

Thank you to all who replied. I've made up my mind that a D is for me. Now
it's just a matter of doing some more "homework" and getting my finances in
order before I go shopping. In the meantime, I've got another big question
for you all:

Assuming I buy a fairly low mileage D, what can I expect to replace right
away, what are approximate costs for each replacement, and how difficult is
each job? I plan to do nearly all of the work on this car myself, mainly
because I don't trust anyone else, and secondly because none of the
mechanics around here will have a clue about what to do with it. Is the D
difficult to work on in general? I've had an '85 Pontiac Fiero for about 7
years now, which also has a 2.8 V6 stuffed into a little area in the back.
It looks like the D's engine bay has more room to work in than my Fiero's.
My Fiero has a little trunk behind the engine and the D does not so I'm
guessing it's roomier. At any rate, I'm used to working on a car that most
mechanics call a nightmare, so I'm guessing the D can't be any worse.

On the daily driver issue: I too am very anal about leaving my cars places.
I have always driven rather nice vehicles and have accustomed myself to
taking preventative measures. I do most of my grocery shopping at Costco and
I find that not only are the parking spaces oversized, most of the other
customers also drive nice vehicles and take care not to damage them (and
mine). I no longer shop at places like Wal-Mart, where there are lots of
runaway carts and parking lots full of people who don't give a darn about
your vehicle. Lastly, I always park in the back away from everyone else and,
if possible, by an "island" to help prevent someone from hitting me. So far
I've had good luck with this.

Thanks again,

-Ryan