PRV Engine conversion...mine all mine.

Hello, list.
Currently my 2.8 litre PRV V6 is being transformed to a leaner,
meaner fighting machine. Yes, it sounds like I'm gloating. I have
the confidence that John Lane of Pacific Rim Automotive is providing
me with the best available parts locally and with his extensive
knowledge of racing a Volvo rally car he knows what needs to be
done. Plus Pacific Rim Auto is only four miles from where I live.
I can't provide any better technical advice than what many
people have posted here on the DML. I don't have a mechanical
background to assist in this project. I am the source of cash.
Therefore, I may not offer a convincing reason as to why this is
quite possibly a better engine conversion as opposed to an engine
replacement.
Yes, I do feel like I went into the conversion lacking enough
education on my options. I had not looked into prices of other
engine replacements. Rumors of close to $20,000 for the new Cadillac
Northstar 300hp V8 engine replacement and $6,995 for a brand new PRV
200hp normally aspirated V6 means first my car would need to be
trailered to someone from Seattle, Washington.
Initially, I bought the car knowing the engine needed a cam
shaft replacement and rocker arm assembly. At 49,800 miles on the
odometer I believed there shouldn't have been much time and money
needed for making the proper repairs. Well come to find out when
opening the leaking valve covers and leaking timing chain cover more
work had been done on the engine then at first realized. Both
camshafts looked newer and cleaner than the blackened rocker arms. A
camshaft lobe was scored due to inadequate lubrication. That was the
source of the ticking. A friend of mine said he could hear my D
before he could see it.
Inside the timing chain cover one timing chain is snug and the
other is loose. Oil pump drive chain and oil pump is noticibly newer
than the rest of the engine. Circular gouges and scratches on the
inside of the timing chain cover coincide with failure of the oil
pump drive chain.
Following John Lane's recomendation the heads were removed and
would you take a look at that, the tops of the pistons were black
with carbon. By this time I wanted what ever could be done to get
the engine in a condition better than it was before it was new.
Meaning stronger and quicker. The following is what will be done:
brand new lighter alloy rocker arm assemblies, brand new Volvo larger
lobe camshafts, ported and polished intake, tossing out PRV block and
replacing it with a good (used) even firing Eagle Premier 3.0 litre
V6 and mating that with the PRV crank case cover, PRV water pump, PRV
Bosch K-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection and loads of other parts.
Today the engine is in pieces. Within the next few weeks it
will be running again. I have taken pictures of the PRV disassembled
and have left my camera with John in order to document the assembly.
Will post costs and picures of this whole affair once I get the
bill.
One last thing. No, three. I also asked John to recharge the
empty A/C and check for leaks. And to figure out why the heck is the
fuel pump making noise every time the engine runs. But, of course
the fuel pump didn't make this noise while test driving the car
before I bought it. The car still has the original suspension
components. John says the shocks are worn out. I've thought about
replacing the front springs with new 1-1/2" lower ones and the shocks
but with the costs of the work being done to the rest of the car I'm
putting that off for a while.
Due to the car being so gosh darn unique I think all this work
making the car better is worth it.

Mark R. Vanyo
VIN #2261
Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club

PS. Scott Mueller thanks for the concern regarding the 6.8 magnitude
quake to rock the Puget Sound and beyond. The temporary or permanent
closure of buildings and bridges for quake damage inspection shows
just how much everyone is affected. Fortunately no one died due to
falling debris. From what I understand one lady died of a heart
attack because of the quake. For more pictures and news reports go
to:
www.king5.com
www.kirotv.com