Re: [DML] Noisy fuel pump

[MODERATOR NOTE - Sarcasm alert! - please don't take these suggestions seriously - humor intended!]

Walter,
My guess would be that the radiator cooling pipes that run along side of the
gas tank are the major contributor to the heating of the fuel in the tank.
You are right about the other sources of heat gain. If the pump is
extremely noisy, check and make sure that the fuel inlet screen is not
clogged or that the hose has not been pinched or collapsed. Coming back
from the Cleveland show, my pump sounded like a garbage disposal. I ended
up stopping every hour or so to fill the tank up with cool fuel. It turns
out that I had bought a load of extremely dirty gas in Cleveland. The noise
was the pump cavitating because of a clogged suction. Warm/Hot fuel will
cause the pump to cavitate and is aggravated by a lower fuel level in the
tank. A deflector for the air coming off of the radiator may give some
relief, route the air from the fans to the wheel wells. We might have to
install cross drilled brake rotors to compensate for the extra heat from the
radiator to the brakes. We could route the cooling lines thru the passenger
compartment and bonnet to the radiator. I know, put a AC loop inside the
gas tank, we could refrigerate the fuel. How about mounting the fuel tank
inside the passenger compartment on the rear package shelf. This would
increase the trunk capacity. We could mount the radiator horizontally on
the rear louver or even put in one of those VW air-cooled engines. The
possibilities are endless.
Maybe the best thing to do would be to turn up the stereo when you get tired
of the hum of the fuel pump. ;-)

Scott Mueller
DOA/DMCNEWS
002981