Re: 3.0 Eagle motor

I've been looking into the 3.0 litre PRV-6 from the Eagle Premier as
an engine swap to see what options are available. While I am content
with the power my existing engine has, I'm always interested in
examining possible options for increasing power. So, I naturally
looked to the next largest engine on the list comparable to mine.

I don't wish to swap out the engine for either a Chevy, or a
Northstar. I myself do not care for the Chevy motor, and the
Northstar is WAY too expensive. Aside from cost, I have also seen a
few unfavorable reviews of the Northstar on the internet. I know the
Northstar has the "limp-home" feature, but if my car has that kind of
an emergency, I would rather have the car towed home then risk damage
to it. Asides from that, I don't want to have to install a load of
electronics to control the motor. Simplicity and common Volvo
components are better in the event that the car would have to be
worked on. If nothing else, I want to maintain the car's heritage of
the PRV-6.

I do like the looks of the Eagle Premier engine, but it still doesn't
look like it may be the appropriate choice. Myself, I perfer the K-
Jetronic fuel injection as opposed to EFI. IMHO it is simpler to
tune, maintain, and to troubleshoot. Plus I would much rather stick
with the current ignition components and electronics that the
DeLorean currently uses. Since the 3.0 version is evenfireing, this
doesn't look like it could be done. Unless of course the D's
crankshaft and valvetrain could be mated to the PRV block. Even here
I do not if if this could either be done, or if it might hinder any
performance gains. What I am mainly looking for is the increasd size
and compression of the 3.0 engine to be applied to the DeLorean.

Since I haven't seen either a final cost or any dyno results, it is
hard to determine weather or not the PRV swap is an efficient way to
go. According to the DOC UK's web site, the free-flow exhaust system
would be a larger performance increase on it's own then the entire
3.0 litre engine. Then again, the hp rating on the 3.0 motor could be
due to a simular situation as the 2.8 in the D. Perhaps it too was
subject to even stricter emissions laws. Maybe there is a potential
for a good deal of power output there... But utill the final results
are in, so far the best way to go appears to be the 198 hp conversion
from DMC Houston.

-Robert