Re: [DML] Re: Eagle Premier 3 Litre engine

Re: [DML] Re: Eagle Premier 3 Litre engine

<< Does anyone have any pics of this engine conversion, or any details
of what exactly had to be done to complete it?

-Robert
vin 6585 >>

Robert,

I currently have 2 Delorean engines and a 3.0 Eagle engine all torn apart
and scattered all over my garage. The intent was to build a 3.0 D engine for
my car, well........ even tho the 2 engines are both PRV units and similar
in design, that's about where it stops. These 2 engines are completely
different on the insides. The only parts that will interchange are the oil
pump and timing chains. Everything else is different, the crank, rods,
pistons and sleeves, the block, heads, intake and exhaust, and everything
else. The D engine is an "odd fire" unit while the E engine is an "even fire"
unit. This means the way the cylinders operate is even different between the
two engines.
About the only thing that does fit is the tranny from the D will bolt up
to the E engine. But the engine mounts on the E engine are in a different
place and will not fit the D frame. The bottom cradle ( w/ engine mounts )
from the D engine will fit the E engine, but it's a lot of work to tear the
bottom ends off each motor to swap cradles. It actually involves getting into
the crankshaft main caps and stuff. If you do swap cradles and pans, then the
complete E engine can be bolted into a Delorean frame.
But you're not even half way there yet, because the E engine uses a
completely different ignition system and electric fuel injection system which
will not work with the original D electric's, so they must then be adapted,
thru the use of entirely new electronics, to work on the D. And, nope, no
luck. The original D ignition and fuel systems will not fit the E engine, not
even the entire intake manifold system. The spread between the D heads and
the E heads is different and the intakes will not swap, not even close. And
the E heads are not even bored to accept the rear mounted D distributor nor
does the E cam include a gear to drive the D distributor if you do bore a
hole in the head for it.
Like I said, for both being PRV engines, they sure are a lot different
then they look. If the guys at "Pacific Rim" installed an Eagle engine into a
Delorean, as I understand they did, it sure must have been a heck of a
project. Quite a bit more then just some nuts and bolts stuff. I'd love to
see some pictures of it myself.

Later, Marty