Re: Hood question

The thickness of the panels is either 16 or 18 gauge. That doen't
matter. The best way for you to repair little round holes is to tap
the holes to the closest size for a machine screw to be installed,
stainless steel of course (and the correct alloy) and then cut it
flush and TIG weld. Leave a small bump above the surface to grind
flush and then regrain the entire hood. Use as lot of wet rags to
contain the heat (don't use heat dam putty, it lets the welded area
get hot and won't carry away the heat like the wet rags). The welder
should use a variable frequency welder with inert gas like C-25 or
Argon. Look for a restaurant supplier or a hollow metal shop that does
stainless work. Most large cities have people that do commercial
kitchen work like sinks and counters and most of that is assembled and
welded in the field.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757