Re: battery drain/gauges

Fil Vigil,
Some of the gauges on the D are a bit unusual in that they don't go to Zero
with the ignition off. This is normal and I'll let some of the experts
respond to that issue.
I had (have?) the same problem with my car; a few days in the garage and the
battery was way down. I received several suggestions from the list, but none
of them solved the problem. With everything "off" I still had a couple of
Amps drain between the negative battery terminal and ground. Pulling every
fuse in sequence didn't isolate the sneak cirquit.
Coincidentally I had ordered a "battery saver" switch from DMC Joe (this
switch is used to cut out the interior lights when the doors are left open),
and that helped! The car is snowed in for the winter, it is about 6 weeks
since I installed the switch (and left it in the off position) and in that
timespan the battery has dropped from 12.6 to 10.3 Volts (just checked).
Before the 'battery saver' switch it would have dropped that much in 2-3
days. Obviously I still have a problem but I have isolated one of the
culprits to the interior light cirquit. Where in the cirquit is another
question!

It is my impression based on what I have read here that it is impossible, or
at least impractical, to attain zero leakage in the electrical circuits of a
D. Except by using a battery cut-off switch! That is next on my list, but I
would like to track down the worst of the power leaks before I give up.

Keep us posted!
Roger
1074