Manual transmission Tech notes

I was just browsing the DMC News Tech session page and noticed an
error in the manual transmission Tech notes. This was already a topic
on the DML. http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/manualtrans.htm

Under the reassembly notes it says to use Anerobic sealant on the
transmision case halves, this is correct. But it then goes on to say
that the recommended sealant is called Hylomar. This is incorrect.
Anerobic sealent and Hylomar are two totally different sealents. You
want to use Anerobic sealent on the transmission casings halves and
Hylomar on the end cover and bell housing (along with the paper
gaskets). Anerobic "cures" and is impervious to oils...Hylomar is a
gasket dressing that does not cure and remains flexible. If you
noticed when you take the casing apart, there is a green "stain"
stripe going along the mating surface. This is the original Anerobic
sealent. It cures with the absence of air...in other words if the
sealent is exposed to air, it will always remain soft. But when there
is no air (squeezed inbetween the tranny case) it will cure.

I just wanted to point this out so that maybe the tech session could
be updated so noone else makes that mistake. If the person uses
Hylomar in place of the Anerobic sealent on the transmission casing
halves, it's going to leak.

I learned all this thanks to Rob, I asked him about using the Hylomar
as the tech session described and he told me that that was wrong and
Hylomar and Anerobic sealent are two tottaly different sealents.

Permatex does manufacture both sealents under their respective name.
The Anerobic is red in color and the Hylomar is Blue.

Steve