Just an Update

I still haven't gotten the transmission completely fixed, but I haven't
posted in a while so I thought I would.

It seems I ran into a problem that was a little more urgent. I filled
the car up with gas on the way to work one day - as I finished the
attendant stated they could smell gas from way behind the car. Another
person who I was speaking to about the car noticed a puddle under the
car, sure enough it was gas pouring down from the tank :(

Well I moved the car over to a parking spot, got someone to come pick me
up and the following day got the car home. I removed the gas tank
access panel and saw that the gas was coming up from the fuel pump area.
After looking at the shop manual, and parts manual I then realized this
car did not have the fuel pump cover on it, and it seemed as if the boot
that drops down into the tank was for the most part gone around the
bottom. Fuel lines were also in pretty bad shape. I knew they were but
hadn't replaced them yet since they were still functional and I wasn't
sure how to replace them.

I went ahead and ordered from DMC Houston their kit of Pump, filter,
hoses boot and cover. Got it 2 days later, ( not bad for ups ground
ship ) and installed it yesterday. Later yesterday I finally got a
chance to take it around the block for a test spin, all was fine. So I
thought anyway, I took it for a short drive not to far, as I pulled up
to a stop sign the engine died, and of course the car would not restart.
BTW for anyone wondering yes there was gas in the car. Since it was
well after dark, and very cold I managed to get the car into a parking
lot and called my wife to come get me. *sigh* Now I get to go get the
car or have it towed. Hopefully it is just a loose hose that the
pressure pushed off. ( I doubt it though I checked them all pretty
good, I didn't want to have to redo this.)

Sorry for the rambling post, but I kind of needed to vent a little.

Matthew L. Walker
VIN #1219