Re: At what point does a DeLorean become salvage.

Re: At what point does a DeLorean become salvage.

Short of an engine fire or a collision bad enough to have killed
someone, it really takes an extreme amount of damage to quallify a
DeLorean as salvage. I know that others may disagree with me, but
hear me out. The car you've described sounds like a excellent
canidate for restoration. The question here isn't is this car able
for/worth the cost of restoration. The question is if this is the
proper car for you to start out with. If you have a deep enough
passion for the car (matched of course with the same level of
patience), then the amount of work will not matter. However, if
DeLorean's have only been something you've thought about but haven't
been that serious about, I'd probably say walk away. While it's only
a personal opinion, I would never buy a vehicle as an investment. If
you looking for something that you'll restore simply to make a $
profit, then you will be let down in a big way. But if you want the
car to enjoy you'll won't be disappointed. No amount of money could
buy you the feeling of driving a DeLorean. Especially one that you
know is only able to be on the road because of your efforts. Just
remember that what at first is minor TLC can lead to blind devotion.
For me, in the end I stopped drving my car, and it now drives me.

If you really do want the car, then nothing can stop you from buying
it. If it were me, I'd offer the guy $3,400 and negotiate up from
there. If it's outside of a salvage yard, it's history is probably
this: It didn't run right so it was parked. As the years went by it
rotted, and either the owner, someone who inherited the car, or
someone who purchased land the car was sitting on had it junked.
Either that or it could be an insurance recovery. As for why it was
never destroyed either the guy who owns it now wants to sell it for a
small profit, the car is not really recyclable (stainless &
fibreglass no that high in demand), or he just couldn't bear to see
the car scrapped.

What ever choice you make will be the right one. Good Luck!

-Robert
vin 6585 (Still the DeLorean from hell, but coming back around...)