Door Guides Tip

Here's a little restoration tip for all - concerning the appearance of the door guides.

When I got my DeLorean the three screws fastening each of the four door guides were bad. I suspect they all came with standard steel screws (read: corrosion and rust)....a few screws had turned brown ugly and "contaminated" the stainless with the brownish stain.

Since I was working inside the doors at that moment I was fortunate to manage to loosen the screws by having access to the screws from both ends, and no - they didn't come off easily with neither 5-56 or WD-40...but those two sprays did in fact remove the brownish stain! :)

The top pattern of the screws were very bad causing the screwdriver to slip...but by using the screwdriver on the one end and a firm grip tool on the other end of the screw, I managed after much trouble and endless hrs. to get the old screws out.

Then I took one of the old screws with me and went to the hardware store where I found correct replacements in stainless steel.

I would recommend that you check your door guides' screws and replace them ASAP. Remember that our beloved DeLorean is soon to be 20 years old. Wait too long and you wont get the screws out any other way than by drilling them out. Not something you would prefer to do. If you are lucky and the screws are not jammed, you will manage to get the screws out simply by using a screwdriver. The sooner you replace them with stainless ones, the better!

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759