Re: Shimmy in Tires

A shimmy is a condition where the sterring wheel has a shake side to
side and can be very pronounced at a certain speeds yet seem to
disappear at others. It is generaly caused by a bad tire or an out of
balance condition. The first thing to do is to take off the front
wheels and run your hand over the inside and outside sidewalls. Feel
for lumps, bumps, and bulges. This could be a sign of the layers
delaminating. Next feel the tread, it should be smooth, not bumpy.
Remove any stones or glass or metal. Look the tire over for anything
that doesn't look right. Check the surface on the rim and the surface
on the rotor for any dirt or rust that would prevent the rim from
seating properly. Remount the wheel on the car alternating the
torque. Check for "runout" that is the rim should rotate without
moving in and out. If these things do not help then have the tires
balanced in a dynamic balancing machine. Static balancing is not
accurate enough for modern cars. Also check for looseness in the
steering, there should be no play in the tie rod ends. Any looseness
will exaggerate an out of balance condition. A shaking in your "gut"
when driving is usually caused by an out of balance condition in the
rear and generally peaks at a particular road speed. Again check the
tires for delaminations and the rim for runout. Sometimes wheel
weights do fall off so it could just be an out of balance problem.
Whenever you have a tire repaired it should be rebalanced. Sometimes
the only way to definitively isolate a problem is to substitute a
known good tire and see if the problem goes away. Always keep the
right air pressures in your tires, it is the single most important
owner maintaince procedure followed by checking the motor oil and
anti-freeze. Try to find the local shop that does police cars or
ambulances. It should be a modern machine used by someone who has
been
doing alignments for some time and knows the machine and how to use
it.It must be a "4" wheel machine because they must measure the
"thrust angle" or the alignment of the rear tires. You may have to
provide them with the specs, not all machines have Deloreans in their
database but just about all machines can have special cars added
manually.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757