Delorean fires...

> Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 16:18:17 -0500
> From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx>
> Subject: Re: A frightning experience(Part 1)
>
> Nathian,
> I would like to correct two of your comments in defense of the DeLorean
> electrical system.
> You said: "A fire can start so quickly...esp. in DeLoreans".
> The DeLorean electrical system is no more prone to catching fire as any
> other automobile.

I disagree. An automobile with more "electrical problems" has a greater
chance of catching fire than one that is more reliable. Assuming a standard
ratio, a Delorean has more of a chance of catching fire as a car with very
few electrical problems.(But not more than one with the same weaknesses in
its electrical system). I assume we all agree there is a higher # of
problems in the Delorean than other cars this same age? Sorry I didn't make
my point clearer.

> You also said: "This story is dedicated to the wonderful Lucas
Electronics".

> With the exception of a couple of Lucas installed components, Lucas was
not
> involved with the design or construction of the DeLorean electrical
system.

Well, in a way it is. I am incorrect if the headlight switch is a
"non-Lucas" part. But in essence, isn't the fuses/relays Lucas components?
THen I feel they are as much at fault...aren't fuses there to prevent a
short and/or fire?

> Concerning your dash fire; we have no reports or experiences of DeLorean
> dash related fires. All of the dash circuits have factory installed fuse
> protection. However I have seen many DeLoreans, that have un-fused
> additional wiring installed by owners for additional dash installed
> accessories.

Well, now you have one. I can assure you the switch was wired correctly and
the fuse DID NOT do it's job as it did not blow in this incident.

All I am saying is the Delorean has a tendency towards electrical problems,
whether due to bad design or bad components. The POS headlight switch is an
excellent example. Therefore, one can make a logical conclusion that a
Delorean has a greater chance of fire than say a recongnized reliable
auto.(i.e.--Japanese makes)

Sorry if I confused you.

Nathan E. Green
gzen21@xxxx

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88mph you're gonna' see
some serious s--t"
-Doc Brown: "Back to the Future"