Fuses

Having just done some electrical work on several "old" cars I have
noticed something worth mentioning. I found that many of the fuses
were not in the correct places or were just the wrong size. Sometimes
all that is required is to just move them into the correct positions
but I have also seen all replaced without regard to the correct
values. In some cases the fuses are too small but in most they were
too big. DMC Joe has a fuse layout or you can look in the owner's
manual or workshop manual. I think it would be a very cheap form of
insurance to make sure that the proper size fuse is in the proper
position. It would also be a good idea to keep an assortment so you
can always replace a blown fuse with one that is correct. While you
are in the fuse area behind the passanger seat make sure that the
blower fan and cooling fan circuit breakers have been replaced with
the correct bigger ones and that all of the wires do not look
overheated. If you still have the jumper wire for the cooling fan
relay carefully examine it for signs of overheating. There have been
cases of electrical fires so it is an area of concern.Many people
have
had their hands in the cars over the years and sometimes they didn't
always know what they were doing. If you aren't an origional owner
(not many of us are) then you don't know who did what.This is an
excellent winter project and you don't have to be a mechanic to check
this area.
David Teitelbaum