Re: Lexan or Plexiglass windshields

Claude,
In my opinion, I would not attempt to do this for the following
reasons:

1. Plexiglas scratches especially if you are going to use it as a
windshield it will be subjected to rocks, debris etc.. which will
scratch it.

2. After some time to exposure to elements (wind, rain, snow,
sunlight) the plexiglass will form sort of a foggy appearance on it
whish would (over time) make it difficult to see through, especially
at night.

The Delorean windshield does have a curve to it. As far as the
inspection is concerned, depending on where you bring it they may
overlook it and just glance at it to make sure there are no cracks in
it. But then again some shops will inspect anything that looks a
little out of the ordinary. There is a safety stamp on ALL automotive
glass (windshields, roll down windows..etc) and if they don't see the
DOT safety stamp on the windshield, they will most likely to fail
you.

The delaminating problem you described is true, but it's not a big
problem. The car I purchased from my friend has a NOS windshield
(from PJ Grady I think) and the delimanation is at the very bottom of
the glass over the black trim. It is not in the line of sight as you
are driving (you can't even see it from the inside of the car since
it's so low down)and it is hardly noticeable from the outside. I
would replace it with the right windshield the first time and not
just slap on a temporary solution then remove it and install the
right one.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, cbl302@xxxx wrote:
> From what I understand most of the remaining NOS windshields have a
> problem with delimanation(TRUE FACT) and as such,can a windshield
be
> made from Lexan or plexiglass to fit a Delorean,as the Delorean
> windshield has no bends as far as I know,(maybe I may be wrong on
> that,I maybe thinking Bricklin windshields)Would it be a legal
> issue,I just need to do it to get the car thru safety
inspection,and