Wheels/"Gassing Out"

Hi All,

A follow up to my original message on the chrome powder coated wheels. I
got the wheels back this afternoon and had my new tires and wheels mounted
and back on the "D" by this evening. The wheels and tires look great but what
an adventure it turned out to be.

What should have been a two day experience turned out to be over a week. The
first time the wheels were powder coated they looked like some one threw sand
on them and powder coated over them. Not a good thing. We sanded them down
and reshot the powder two days later. The results were worse the second time.
I was about to give up and paint them when the owner mentioned he thought the
wheels were "Gassing Out". Being new to powder coating I played it cool and
decided to listen instead of guessing what that ment. He explained to me that
my alloy wheels must have taken on some impurities during the time the paint
had peeled off the wheels. This then required the wheels be baked at least 6
hours to insure the impurities (now a gas product) could be cooked off. As it
turned out they cooked them for about 16 hours and the wheels still had a
very small amount of "Gassing out". But I can live with the 98% perfect job.
So if you decide to powder coat and you have had paint peel off for any time
make sure you cure the wheels for many hours. Also one last tip. My powder
coating place highly suggested using spray wax on the wheels as soon as
possible to keep the wheels in top condition. Hope this is of value to those
who my be considering powder coating your wheels.

Bill (11096)

"Wheels that looking like a dream"