Re: Transmission(Clutch) trouble...

Nathan,

It could be the Throw out Bearing that is sticking. It's not uncommon
that the Throw out bearing sticks since water and/or debris can get
into the bell housing of the tranny (don't let the rubber boot on the
housing fool you). Unfortunately if it is the Throw out bearing you
will have to remove to tranny from the car to replace it. If it is an
intermittent "sticking" problem than it may well be the Throw Out
bearing that is causing it.

If you can get to the slave cylinder with your hand, WITHOUT STARTING
THE CAR (safety) you can have a friend press on the clutch pedal. As
he presses the clutch down, feel the movement of the clutch fork. It
should be smooth. If at any point the pedal is being pressed and the
clutch fork does not move or moves marginally then moves all the way
to the "clutch released position", you have a sticking component.
Also as he releases the clutch, feel if the clutch fork moves back
into place smoothly. It shouldn't be jerky or release after the
clutch pedal was released some time after. It should all happen
approx the same time. Of course if it is intermittent, you will have
to do it a few times.

I would also check the fluid level in you tranny.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Nathan E. Green" <gzen21@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> On the way home from a car show today(I won 3rd place) my
delorean started
> exhibiting some strange behavior. I'm hoping you can help.
> First off, it is an 82, 5speed is is definently a higher
mileage/daily
> driver vehicle. (Not sure exactly how many miles are on it--but
that's
> another story.
> Anyways, it seems the clutch is slipping or sticking. You let the
clutch
> out and for a minute the revs stay higher and then a second later
the revs
> drop for the new gear. It does this off and on(sometimes it doesn't
> occur--the car shifts fine) primarily in 1, 2,3 gears. It almost as
if the
> clutch doesnt disengage in the new gear after youve shifted-- as if
it is
> sticking and then works it way loose. The car definently shifts
gears and
> stays in gear--so it doesn't appear to be a tranny(gear) problem.
> The obvious answer is to check the clutch fluid. I'm getting set
to do
> that now. I guess you use clutch or DOT3 brake fluid to refill??
This is my