Re: [DML] Re: Cleaning A Delorean

I don't recommend using the #180 grit sand paper, let alone the #220. I
replaced my door lock with the smaller escutcheon Volvo ignition variety and
found that the larger original lock left a deep polish print in the
stainless. I removed this print using #80 grit sand paper. It took a lot
of scratching, but the print finally wore away. I scratched up the
surrounding area to blend in and then finished it up with a black
Scotchbrite pad. This matches the factory finish perfectly, and it is what
Rob Grady told me to use. (He sold me the locks and the Scotchbrite pads.)

If you use anything finer than this combination, then to that extent you are
going to end up polishing the stainless instead of texturing it. But be
very careful with the direction of the texture you apply. One stroke in a
wrong or curved pattern will take a lot more scratching to correct.

Walt Tampa, FL