Re: Coasting and pulsating

I can think of two reasons for the pulsating, a pulsating fuel
pressure (which you can check with a fuel pressure gauge) or a
problem
in the secondary ignition circuit such as a bad ignition wire, fouled
spark plug, arcing dist cap. It could also be an unbalance in the
fuel
distibuter. Thinking more about it I would probably suspect a fuel
injector that is out of spec. Every time it's turn comes around it
puts out the wrong amount of fuel. Knowing how touchy the fuel system
is to dirt that would probably be my first choice. A quick test of
the
ignition system, run the car at night in a dark spot with the engine
cover open, put your hands in your pockets and while someone can rev
the engine observe the ignition system for blue glows or sparks.
You cannot check the spark plug boots this way because of the deep
wells. If the wires are origional just replace them. The injectors
can
be tested and posssibly cleaned by someone with access to an injector
tester, you don't always have to replace them.

David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, jdsjlv@xxxx wrote:
> With all of the posts regarding hesitation, ect. I figured I would
comment on
> how my D pulsates while coasting. Yesterday I was cruising down a
flat road
> in my home town. I had my foot resting on the accelerator and I was
in 3rd
> gear. My RPM's were right on the 2100 mark and my speedo read 35
MPH. What I
> felt was a slight pulsation, almost as if the car was trying to
keep
up with
> the pace given the consistent placement of the accelerator. If I
pressed down
> more on the pedal or released it, nothing out of the ordinary would
happen,
> either it would accelerate strong or decelerate accordingly. My
question is
> this: given that the D is a CFI engine (right?) would this explain
the
> pulsating at a consistent speed? I don't feel it unless I really
concentrate
> on it, or If I go slow enough. Last year I had my micro switch (the
one near
> the accelerator spool) replaced and my car is properly serviced.
Has
anyone