Re: Motor mount / crank case

Upon removing the engine from 2650, I was unable to get the two motor mount bolts loose. As a work-around, I just unbolted the entire mounts from the frame. Well I was just looking at the drivers side mount (The actual crankcase flange that the bolt goes through) and noticed that it's cracked the length of the bolt. Almost as if the bolt seized, corroded and expanded, cracking the aluminum. By design, the engine/transaxle setup puts much less strain on the mounts than a conventional front engine/rear drive system so it seems unlikely that this crack was caused by any sort of motor torque. Anybody seen this before? Anybody have a crankcase for sale cheap? (Otherwise, I'll have this one welded up.) I'll try to get a pic of the crack up on the website.

Side note: I'd love to do a little research to find out just when it was that science discovered the adverse affects of putting dissimilar metals in contact with each other. I'd bet it was sometime before the Delorean was designed! Delorean engineers must have missed that chapter in school.

Thanks,

Steve "can you guys say anti-seize compound?" S.
VIN 2650 "Project Delorean"
www.angelfire.com/md2/projectdelorean