Re: Fw: Speedometer cable

If you seriously wanted to do this, I would not recommend using an
infrared led and pickup to count the pulses. If any dirt or dust gets
onto the optic of either the sending LED or receiving, it will stop
working. Since it's in/near the wheel, there is ALOT of brake dust
that accumulates there that can easily get onto the optics. I would
suggest using a magnetic sensor (similar to the ones used for anti-
lock brake sensors) to count the pulses. You would have to make a
collar that would have splines on it. As the collar would turn, the
splines on the collar will rotate passed the magnetic sensor, it will
generate the required pulses. You could probably get away with going
to a junk yard, getting the splined collar and magnetic sensor off of
a car with antilock brakes, and engineer a circuit around that.

IMHO I don't think it would even be worth it since the cost of
building this along with a digital dash would far exceed the cost of
a replacement speedo cable. But then again if you wanted to be
different then I would go with the magnetic sensor.