Need headlight switch fix

The headlight switch on my Delorean is getting progressively less reliable
with age. Before the car had 10K miles on it, the switch started giving
problems. I understand that Delorean headlight switches are another typical
weak-spot in these cars and replacing them with an OEM part is a temporary
fix at best since headlight switches have a high failure rate.

The switch just doesn't want to latch when I press it. Sometimes tapping it
real fast helps it stick, but with practice the switch is learning
techniques around my stealth fingers again.

I've heard rumor that the headlight switch off of a certain model Audi is
the same thing or better. Is this true, and can anyone give me details
about it?

And otherwise, what is the best fix for a headlight switch? I've seen (and
I forget who's car it was) a headlight switch re-wired sticking out of the
bottom of the center console. It was a reversible modification that
bypassed the bad dash switch. Well this is a good idea, but I'd kind of
like to fix it right the first time if that's possible.

I also remember talking to someone about trying to disassemble a switch and
repairing it (I think it was the same guy as mentioned above) but he said he
tried that and failed.

I'm not eager about rebuilding my switch unless I know I can put it back
together in the same day. And I know myself too well... once apart, it will
probably stay apart until I die of old age and someone else buys the car
from my estate.

So who's got the best fix?

Walt Tampa, FL