winshield wiper problem (help!)

After picking up my wonderful new D yesterday, I'm facing my first
problem: it seems that my wipers & washer have decided not to work
anymore. I've checked the fuse and ground cable and they both seem to
be OK. I also checked the owners manual (to make sure I was doing it
right), shop manual, and the back issues of the list to no avail.
Does anyone have any ideas? Normally, I'd just apply a coating of
RainX and never use them, but I'm running out of days in my 10-day
New York State temp inspection and the wipers have to work for my D
to pass.

Thanks!

Aaron Knoll
# 3396