Re: [DML] Delorean Overheating (almost)

A few more things to check on an overheating "D"

(1) Make sure both fans are working
(2) Make sure both fans are blowing air in the correct direction
ie:into the radiator and toward the rear of the car
(3) Make sure the fans are securely attached to the fan motor shafts
(4) If you have an eary "D" the fan switch is on top of the pipe it
would be better if you turned it down like in the latter "D"'s so if
there is an air bubble by the switch it doesn't affect the operation
of it.
(5) If the timming is way off or the vacum advance isn't working
correctly it could cause it to run hot.
(6) If the fuel mixture is too lean it would run hot
(7) If the parking brake or a caliper was dragging it would run hot
(8) The radiator could be partialy obstructed
(9) A hose on the suction side of the water pump could be collapsing.

I hope I have given you a few more things to look for, a "D" in good
running condition should not run hot. Be careful, the engine is very
sturdy, it will last a long time if taken care of but it will not
tolerate being overheated very long. This is probably the single
biggest reason people have had to do engine work or even replace the
motor in a "D".

David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

-- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx> wrote:
> Brian,
>
> There are three possibilities for high engine temperature:
>
> 1. DEFECTIVE COOLING FAN TEMPERATURE SWITCH.
> 2. TRAPPED AIR IN THE COOLANT LINES.
> 3. LOW COOLANT LEVEL.
> 4. DEFECTIVE THERMOSTAT.
>
> "We're here to help you"
>
> DMC Help / De Lorean Services / <dmchelp@xxxx>
> Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

gauge
is almost
> to the 220 degrees mark. It's never gone above that.
>
> Living in South Carolina, it gets very hot here in the summer.
It's not
> unusual driving in stop and go town trafic with the A/C running
for the gauge
> to stay near the 220 mark. Is this ok? I've bled the system,
but
that