20years of Michigan Weather (long and full of questions)

20years of Michigan Weather (long and full of questions)

 Delorean Guru's,
I have been searching for a delorean for about a year. I
live in Michigan. I've passed serveral chances to buy a delorean,
just out of being picky about 5speed, grey, thin stripe, and price.
am "looking" at a delorean (emailed pics), that fits the bill. The
problem... It has been stored continously since 1989, every thing
that
is not stainless is rusted (it was outside for a number of years I
think). The car has 3,000miles on it, but the seats (at least the
driver seat, is very cracked, probably sun damage. the dashboard and
fascias (warped) are sun scorched. The engine is very rusted looking
and the frame was deemed "unsafe" because of extensive rust damage to
the front part of frame (1989). The owner who is selling it bought
it
in this condition a number of years ago, he bought a "rolling chasis"
from a delorean that had a interior fire. he never had time to work
on the car and is now selling the delorean and the 2nd frame. Is
this
sad delorean a lost cause? what price range do you think I should ask
for if I do want to purchase it? I have the space to re-build the
car
and allthough I'm not a mechanic I can handle big projects. what are
the implicataions of a frame transfer? can the windshields be taken
out without cracking? is the rust I see probably mostly cosmetic or
evidence of much worse damage to internal engine components? is there
any chance that the old frame could be structuraly inforced without
removeing the car from it (I say this because the front is where the
extensive damage seems to be). alot of questions!! thanks so much in
advance, this list is the largest knowledge base for delorean owners
and wana-be owners like myself and I truly appreciate it! Thanks!

- Nate