Re: [DML] DeLorean Keys II

I had someone ask about my late '81 Delorean keys, so since I went to all
the trouble to type it up, I figure that I would post a copy to this list
incase others may be curious or could use the info..... besides, I'd like
some answers... what is the significance of the small steel key fob with the
serial number on it? And did all dealer sold Deloreans come with 'postage
guaranteed' key fobs?
---------------------------------
The keys that I have are probably the later keys. All of the plastic is
black (including the button). They look like big black paddles. They are
both in good condition. One has slightly less pocket wear than the other.
Both have chrome plated steel key parts with the chrome flaking off. Both
are complete except one is missing the original battery. One problem
though: Both are rather corroded inside from having old leaky batteries
left in them, but it looks like they would clean up okay. One of them still
had the original battery left in it which I took out and sandwiched inside
of clear packing tape. The battery has '625' stamped on it. It looks like
a normal button style battery except it has a shoulder on it, i.e, one face
has a larger diameter than the other. I don't really care about the keys
other than I wouldn't want to sell them for less than they are worth. I
could keep them with the car, but I have enough stuff to keep track of
already.

Another item of interest: the keys that came with my Delorean also have a
key fob about the size of a half dollar. One side has clear plastic
covering chrome lettering on a black background. It has the DMC logo and
says DE LOREAN MOTORCARS OF HIGHLAND PARK 3200 SMOKIE VALLEY RD. HIGHLAND
PARK, ILL. (312) 433-4400.

The back of the key fob is stainless and says, 'Drop in any mailbox, postage
guaranteed, etc.'

I wonder what would happen if someone did drop that in a mail box? Where
would it go?

Another curiosity on the key chain is a steel 'dog tag' measuring
approximately 1" x 1/4" with a key code stamped on it. I wonder if this is
for the door key or the ignition key? I bet some concours buff would know
if it is significant.

Let me know your ideas. I think I'll post some of this text on the DML
since other people may want to know what came with a new Delorean. But I'm
not holding out for the highest bid or anything. I just don't want to give
them away.

Later,
Walt