Sob Story

Greetings List,
I was at my friendly neighborhood junk yard yesterday looking for a
few things for my brother's Honda. I drove the DeLorean down so that
she could get her exercise for the week and, as usual, she attracted
quite a bit of attention...In fact the owner of the yard came out and
talked with me about them for awhile. He's a nice and very honest
gentleman and I have no reason not to believe that the following story,
which he told me, is true.
It seems that when the DeLorean was still in production there was a
Chevrolet dealership in Cincinnati that would do a lot of stainless work
on the cars. All of their damaged panels were sent to this junk yard
when it was determined that they could not be repaired. Curiously
enough, the yard owner held on to those panels and stored them in a huge
semi-truck trailer. When DMC went under the Chevy dealership decided to
get out of the DeLorean business ASAP. They sold their remaining supply
of replacement panels, including brand new left front fenders and lined
hoods (with and without gas flaps!) to this yard too. The yard owner
stored the good panels in with the others in the hopes that someday a
DeLorean owner would come along looking for something. All good news so
far!
Here's the sad part: four or five years ago the yard owner had a
wrecking crew come in to do a routine clean up job and they accidently
crushed the trailer with the DeLorean parts STILL INSIDE!
He didn't think too much about it at the time because apparently no
one had ever come to him looking for panels and basically they were just
taking up space. When I told him how much left front fenders were going
for today he just about fainted.
I'm thinking it might be worth checking out what other local
DeLorean dealerships did with their replacement panels when the company
went under. I'll let you know if I find any stories with happier
endings!
Still sobbing for now,
Josh
http://www.delorean-12.com