Welding on the Frame (Re: [DML] Galvanizing frame?)

Welding on the Frame (Re: [DML] Galvanizing frame?)

Nick,
I would advise against the galvanizing part on your frame. Not only do you have to worry about the tremendous amount of heat stress the frame has to go through but also with the Zinc coat. As a welder, I won't weld on galvanized metal because the coat when it heats up and melts gives off TOXIC fumes. If you were to weld anything around or on the frame, you could put yourself or the welder in serious danger. Plus if a shop were to work on the car, and you forgot to tell them it was galvanized, they would be outting themselves at a risk. I suggest staying with the epoxy coat or upgrading your frame to a stainless steel one. (there is a company out there that makes DMC frames and coats them with the stainless steel coat of Chromium Oxide, supposedly the frames are reinforced in the weaker areas such as the suspension mounts - but I can't remember the name of the company)

Jason Johnston
DMC Enthusiast and Researcher
Kemco Industries, Inc.
Fort Worth, Texas