Re: [DML] Alternative mirror suggestion

I've seriously thought about this as well. I was going to eventually post
that question, but you beat me to it. Some people prefer flat mirrors for
the passenger side, but I really prefer the spherical ones. And it bothers
me to no end that there is a text message etched in the glass reminding me
that objects in the mirror are closer than they appear. Actually I think
they are farther away than they appear, but that's my opinion.

On a non-Delorean, I have upgraded the passenger mirror to a spherical one.
I found something close enough in a junk yard from a newer model car that
had the same outer shape. I had a problem getting the new mirror to fit
because the mirror socket was made to take a flat mirror. The spherical
mirror does not lay flat. I fixed this by re-shaping the surface of the
mirror socket using a belt sander and then gluing the mirror on with black
silicone caulk and filling around the edges with my finger. Whatever
adhesive is used, you need to be sure that it does not dissolve the
reflective layer.

Maybe a glass shop could come up with something? I've been thinking about
getting a large passenger mirror off of a junker SUV and trimming it down to
fit the Delorean. If I started with a mirror big enough, I could crop out
that silly text message etched on the glass. But then maybe an auto glass
shop could do it easier. If anyone tries this, I suggest keeping the center
of the mirror the same because using only one corner of a larger spherical
mirror may not give you a true sphere, but I don't know this as a fact.

I intend to do this to my Delorean eventually unless someone comes up with a
better idea. If this hasn't been done before, I'll try to make up a few
extra mirrors for anyone else who may be interested.

Walt

But then again, I may be wasting my typing here. An auto glass shop may
have everything on hand to do a better job. Does anyone know? But if
anyone else can't come up with a mirror without the silly text message
etched on the glass, then I'm definitely cutting one down from a larger SUV
mirror.

I don't recommend gluing the aftermarket bubble mirrors over the passenger
mirror. Those are just too spherical to do any good that far away. I
bought a car with one stuck on it. It was such a good fit, I could never
get it off.