Parts Supply (Was - Re: Torsion Bars supply)

Parts Supply (Was - Re: Torsion Bars supply)

People always ask me about the parts supply - how much is left, how long, etc.

Anyone who has visited the warehouse realizes the depth and breadth of the supply, and this is after being the primary parts supply for nearly 20 years. Keep in mind that as the car gets older, most will get driven less, which means less accidents, less wear, etc. Diminishing demand. On the other side of the coin, the poorer quality cars will get parted out (like Erik is doing). This means an INCREASE in the supply of some parts.

Some parts in the warehouse there is probably a 40 year (or longer supply), at the current rate of consumption. As noted above, the 'current rate of consumption' is misleading, too. Other parts there may be 'only' a five or ten year supply. As you all know, some parts are already 'gone', at least the originals. Window switches come it mind, as do defrost switches. Some unscrupulous individuals may have some of these squirelled away in their attic or garage, waiting to make a 'killing' when the time comes they are desireable. Similar replacements have been sourced for these and other parts, so supply (or price gouging) should not be a concern to the average owner.

Feel free to email me with comments/questions.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Torsion bar supplies seem no more limited than engines or doors.
Unless there's been a run on them, I wouldn't worry. At
the "warehouse open house" in Ohio a couple of years ago there seemed
to be plenty. Hundreds. There are a lot of parts on a DeLorean with a
finite quantity, luckily there is not a whole lot of demand for them
either.