new to list...questions

First a short history...my father bought a an automatic 81 Delorean
about 13 years ago. He drove the car for about 5 years until the
transmission decided to shop shifting into 3rd. The car sat for
about 6 years. My brother brought the car to his house, replaced the
transmission control unit and rebuilt most of the fuel injection
system. The transmission was still not shifting right, and at times
lost all gears. My brother got a new job, moved, and returned the
car to my father. Every once and a while my brother would come home
and try to fix the car. One day the transmission miraculously healed
itself (yeah right). The car could be driven for a number of miles
with no problem. My father began driving the car every once in a
while but it still sat the majority of the time. When I sold my car
my father told me to drive the Delorean...now...the problem...

I attempted to drive the car from Chas SC to Savannah GA. The car
did fine for about 2 hours worth of driving...then the trans began to
shift out of 3rd...then out of 2nd. If I stopped the car, cut it
off, and let it sit for a few minutes I could get a mile or 2 out of
it. I thought the car would not lose 1st...until I stopped at a
traffic light...had to push the car over to a curb, let it sit for a
minute...then go. I was able to make it to a parking garage near my
workplace.

I checked the trans fluid this morning. There is a cold, warm, and
hot identifier on the dipstick. When the car was cold the level was
way above the cold mark...up on the flexible part of the dipstick.
When I started the car the fluid level barely showed on the
dipstick. Is the cold mark incorrect? I would think it would read
higher cold than warm since the fluid is just sitting in the pan, not
being pumped around. If I add more fluid the level will be that much
higher when cold. I always heard you never check an automatic trans
level when cold...only when warm and while the engine is running.

Thanks for any advice
Jeff

Oh yeah...the neighbor across the street from my parents has a "dead"
Delorean. It has been sitting under a cover for the past few
years.