Re: [DML] Good DeLorean Experiences

Mike,

This is a great idea. I would like to tell the list that I bought my "D"
off the internet in Jan of this year. I made the deal over the telephone and
ask the previous owner if he thought I could drive Vin # 11596 from S.C to IL
without a breakdown. His immediate reply was that he would feel confident
enough to get in the car and drive it to CA from S.C. That was good enough
for me. I flew down to S.C. with no back up plans and drove my "D" 1,100
miles through a snow storm (by the way the rear engine drive handles superb
in snow) back to IL. Now I can't tell you that I didn't have minor things go
wrong. The only mechanical problems that I had that were the cars fault were:

* Speedo jumping from 0 to 100 about half way through the trip and finally
quiting.

* In S.C I didn't need a heater so it wasn't untill I got to about Nashville
that I realized my heater did'nt function properly. It got more than
nippy inside old 11596 from TN to IL.

* In S.C. I made the mistake of trying to use the emergency brake which must
have engaged and stayed engaged untill I got to Danville, IL. But two
good things happened as a result of this. I found out near Danville that
the brake warning light worked and thank my lucky stars I paid attention to
the light. Second I had the car up on a lift to check out the brakes and
discovered I had a punctured rear tire from glass or a nail. So for
$25.00 I got my tire fixed and emergency brake problem taken care of. I
later discovered I didn't have all the tools to change a flat tire. Can you
imagine how life would have been changing a tire for the first time in a
"D" in the middle of a major snow storm?

The fact of the matter is that I got in this special car that had been
stored outside for years with little to no care. Drove it 1,100 mile in two
days and had only very minor problems. For a car that is 18 years old and
not used daily or even regularly I think thats exceptional.

Thanks for the forum to talk about 11596.

Bill
Vin#11596