Re: [DML] muffler heat shield

I know this may sound kind of dumb, but what exactly is causing the
asbestos to break down? Are the shields breaking because of the force
of the wind & car vibrations, or is it water? Granted my car only has
20,030 miles on it, but it has also spent it's entire life in the
desert. On my car the asbestos is hard to the touch, and doesn't
flake. But on other cars where it did break apart easily, they were
all in wetter climates. If water is the culprit, then I'll probably
just stick w/the asbestos. (Note: The only damage to the shields on
my car is from an unknown mechanic that the previous owner went
through. Studs on a Volvo water pump punctured through durring the
installation) Thanks again.

-Robert
vin 6585