Re: [DML] Maintenance Questions

> brakes need a little help. Here is the problem. When I apply gentle,
gradual
> pressure to the pedal, it will go almost to the floor, and then catch.
Even
> then the grab doesn't seem very strong. Despite this, when quick, abrupt
> pressure is applied to the pedal, the brakes grab fine and hold strongly.
> What is this? Is my master cylinder going out? I need help. Where is the

Sounds like master cylinder or air/water/dirt in your break lines ..
I'd try bleeding the system... if that doesn't work, you may have to replace
the cylinder (which is -very- easy to do) ... I had the exact same symptoms
and after I replaced the cylinder, it was all OK. If you open up your fluid
reservoir (under the carpet in the trunk) and it's brown in there .. I'd get
new cylinder and bleed the system when you put the new one on ... when
I bled the system before replacing the cylinder, my brakes we virtually
non-operational... I think the gunk was acting like a seal inside the worn
cylinder. I don't have any experience with having the brakes done at a
shop, but it's very basic for me (a non-mechanic) to do, so I'm sure any
shop could do it for ya....

> Also, there is a fiber-like covering directly in front of the belts in the
engine
> compartment. It is at the very front of the engine compartment when you
are
> facing it. What the hell is this. Is it made of asbestos? I hope not.

This is the muffler heat-shield .. it keeps your muffler from melting your
belts
or hoses or whatever ... I'm sure it's readily available and could probably
even be home-made from a sheet of heat-shield material... I think there was
a thread about a stainless steel replacement that someone had created,
although there was debate on how effective stainless was as a heat
retardant.
It sure would look nicer tho ;)

Good luck!

- Dave