Re: [DML] Torsion bar,door

In a message dated 4/14/00 3:26:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dmc_norway@xxxx writes:

<< >This job is best left to a professional with the right tools.

>A mistake is easy to make (especially without the right tools), and the
>mistake could cost you your rear window, a torsion bar, or a hand!

A HAND?!?
Is this true? Can you actually risk loosing your hand?
I know there's lot of stored power in those torsion bars, but still...
True or false?

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
NORWAY >>

Stian,

I have replaced one of my torsion bars without incident. But I would agree,
after reading some of the questions on this list, many of the posters should
not try this procedure.

I'm not sure how much torque is stored in the bars, but just imagine how much
twisting force (torque) you would have to apply (lets say to a screw, with a
screw driver) at the very leverage disadvantaged position at the door edge,
to lift the door and hold it in position. I don't beleive it would be
humanly possible. There's a reason the bars are adjusted with a five foot
breaker bar!

Burke