Whistling - D

Hi All,

I thought it might be informative to share an interesting DeLorean mechanical
problem and it;s solution.

For that past few weeks, every time I started my D there could be heard a
high pitched Whistling sound, which I took for a vacuum leak. But no matter
how much I listened I could not pinpoint the source of the sound. Then one
morning when I opened the garage door I found antifreeze puddled under the
engine. After a bit I found that the air conditioning drive belt had cut
the bottom of the LH water pump hose!, which resulted from the lower air
conditioner idle pulley being gone.
Now I knew the whistling was the dry bearing in the pulley and when the
sound stopped the pulley had burned out and come apart. The belt was new
and in great condition. For all us shade tree mech-a-nicks the repair was
interesting and simple. A few wrenches, some penetrating oil, hammer and
some new parts.
The parts from PJ Grady came over night, and while I could not convince PJ
to ship all new
parts, spacers washers new bolts I wanted, he did ship a replacement post
and two new pulleys with bearings installed and the block-plate seal. I
also picked up a new air conditioner compressor to install later.
I pride my self in how well maintained my DMC is but it's clear
considering all the rust and
frozen bolts and spacers I found that There is a lot more work needed if my
D is to be in the shape
I want. Most of the repair work required to fix the pulley problem is
removing three bolts the sitting under a nice shade tree and cleaning the
rusty pulley pins and spacers. I recommend the addition of a frozen
beverage like Daiquiri or Margarita Juleps or their ilk. As clean as I
thought I was keeping the engine compartment, it's now clear that
disassembly and cleaning of some parts is just as important.
I am lucky that the pulley failed with in blocks of my house and the belt
cut the water pump just then and not out on the highway. Needless to say
until it failed the dry bearings singing "I need lubrication" should have
tipped me off. These bearing failing is not a question of "if" just
"when". So if you have a few moments it might be worth the time to do a
little preventive maintenance.....you
can bet I have added it to my list of things to do!

Don't Forget our NCDMC Sunday Brunch and chit-chat April 16th!

Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in
county jail.

It's the LAW!