My Second Try at a Delorean

Just thought i'd let you all know how my hunt for a Delorean is going...

Today i went to go visit the Second Delorean on my list of interests.....
Man, talk about a disappointment!!! the guy claimed he had it appraised at
26,000 (which in fact, he really did, however it seems that because he works
in the "auto" industry, he had no problems finding an appraisal *my guess is
from a friend, there is no WAY this car was worth anywhere NEAR that*) The
vin number on the car was 250.... that's rite, it was one of the first 500
promo cars made. I remember a while back reading about how the doors on the
first 500 or so never fit quite right because they were produced in America
and not in the factory in Ireland... it seems as though this was 100%
correct!!!! the doors were a PAIN to close and were VERY visibly off line!!!
They also didn't "glide" up well, despite the fact they had new struts. The
dash had been completely FRIED!!!!! I understand a few cracks and stuff in
a 20 year old dash board.. but this was rediculous, it looks like he had
fried fish on the thing! As for the engine, it could not even idle without
sputtering out and shutting itself off after about 30 seconds.... not a good
sign. All this from a car which "supposedly" had only 4000 miles on the
odometer!!! (and "supposedly" no fuel contamination from sitting there for
so long =p) And then to top things off, i looked under the car to check the
frame.... the epoxy looked just O.K. which is a fairly good sign... until i
looked closer and saw that if chipped a piece of the epoxy off with my
fingernail, the frame underneath was just rusting away, like a cavity in a
tooth! This thing was an 18,000 dollar lemon!! (what he was asking for it)

I have to thank the DML for all their info on what to look for in this
beautiful 20 year old (and sometimes quirky) car!!!! The first things i did
on the car was check the frame, the hoses, the oil screen, and dashboard....
ALL these things were bad on this car, and after checking prices on these
parts at the DML site, it looks as though i would have had to invest another
6-8 thousand dollars in parts before this thing would have been a good daily
driver!! (mostly cause of the mechanical parts just totally dead in this
car, and good possiblity of fuel contamination).

Anyhow, my point is, i must thank this list for all your help! this place
has been wonderful when it comes to being a first time Delorean buyer! =)

Thanx guys!

-Michael