Re: [DML] DMC Houston / James

I cannot speak for James or their English partners on this project...but as
it's my car that will be used as the test vehicle for the development work I
can give some info. Last week I drove my car ( AX1 1698) up into the
Derbyshire hills, near Ashbourne to meet with a gentleman ( who better
remain nameless) who is undoubtedly one Europe's leading experts on car
suspension and handling. A look around his office at some of his very high
profile clients/ corporations and motor manufactures ( who also insist on
anonymity) that he deals with, confirmed this. He was also worked on the
team of Lotus engineers that did the development work on our beloved De
Loreans, spending many months in Belfast and driving test cars around
Derbyshire.So he knows the car very well already!
Basically he is developing a new spring and damper set up, complete with
optional rear ant-roll bar. The original springs were set to the "American"
bumper ride height, as well as being made rather doubtful steel, that can
cause uneven "settling". Suspension dampers have come a long way in the last
20 years, these people manufacture their own dampers from scratch! Designing
them specifically for that car.
The gentlemen concerned treated me to 2 hour detailed description of
suspension in general, and De Lorean's in particular...my brain ached at the
end of it! He said that the rear anti-roll bar should have been fitted
inittialy...but some "high ups" at Lotus were dead set against it!
I will be lending them my car again, at the end of this month, for a 2 week
period for them to "play with". More information as and when it becomes
available.

Chris P. DOC UK