Hard Starting.

My car recently has been hard to start. It is a bit complicated to
explain. My mechanic told me my "Idle Thermistor" is bad and that is what
fried my idle computer. Since I didn't have the money to have him take the
whole intake off, he put a new idle computer in the car and rigged a loose
toggle switch that hangs off the front of the rear shelf. He told me to flip
it on when i start the car until it warms up. It raises the RPMs to about
2100. He also installed a new cold start valve and thermotine switch.
When my car sits for about 3-5 hours it is hard to impossible to start
the car. I thought it was the Gas, for awhile I was using 94 octane. I
switched back to 87 and the car started fine for a week and now its back to
the same hard starting. The car starts right back up when warm. Last night
my car sat in my garage for about 3 hours. I got in it to start it and it
wouldn't start at all. (not even any choking) after turning the engine over
for about 2 minutes, I took my truck. I noticed a strange smell from the
engine compartment. It wasnt gasoline.. A half hour later a tried to start
the car and it started with little hesitation. If the car sits for 6 or more
hours it almost never has trouble starting. THanks in advance... -Dave