[DML] Re: Here's a new one: DOC vs DOA

This thread has been going for a long time. I would like to add my views here, as they may be relevant, becuase this is how an 'outsider' may view the DOA. I've not read the DeLo world bit, but I get the gist of it from all the recent postings.

I'm 15 at the mo. When I 'got in' to DeLos, I was 12. In england, little to no info was available to me. One day, when I used the internet for the first time, I came accross the DOA website. Bearing in mind that this was the first 'real' source of DeLo info I'd ever come accross, I was v. exicted. I wanted to join. $60? For a 12 year old? No chance. It was two years later that I found the Gold Portfolio, and joined up with the Owners Club of england.
I'm a car fan, and the DeLo is THE car for me. I've been at the Internation Classic Car shows with the DOC. I have found a lot of marque clubs, ferrari, porsche, etc, have a very holier-than-thou view of themselves. A friend of mine owns a Lamborghini Diablo, an Anniversary Countach, a Japla and a Miura. I've been to a few Lambo owner's clubs dos. Each time I encountered this attitude, maybe because of my age, and that's not fair. My point is that the DOA really do give the same impression out to younger DeLorean fans, and perhaps to older ones. The worst bit is that they seem to WANT this kind of status. The DOC is very different. Okay, they dont have the same amount of funding as the DOA (mostly because they're cheaper to join), but they give the impression of being a club for people to JOIN. And, at the end of the day, it's just great to be there. They make the DeLo out to be the Greatest Ever Car Made, and they accept it's shortcomings, as anyone should. But they love thier cars, and the club was set up for owners and enthusiasts alike. You often find that the smaller clubs with obscure marques are often staffed by nice, easygoing people.... I regularly phone David Howarth of the DOC to answer my litany of trivial DeLo questions. i can do this because the DOC knows who it's members are. I'm sorry if I'm rambling here, but I would rather be a member of the DOC than the DOA, glossy magazine or not. This is why I'm a member of the DML, for the same reason, albeit on a larger scale.

The bottom line here is: The DeLorean is a great car. Those who own one know that. But it's not a revered marque like Ferrari or Porsche, or indeed, Lotus. Maybe thats the fun in owning one. But why should the DOA make the car out to be something it's not? What I'm saying to all the DOA people here is LOOSE THE ATTITUDE. Your 'exclusivity' thing is costing you members.

And at the end of the day, members is what a club is all about.

I apologise to anyone in the DOA who takes offence to this, my this is mine and many other's feelings. If you want to be exclusive, fine. But don't blame your and the car's unpopularity on the DML.

Matt

Any feedback, both from DOA, DML and DOC members is appreiciated. Thanks