[DML] Re: removal

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Erik Geerdink wrote:

> Hopefully I won't start any bad discussions by posting this, but could
> someone tell me the procedures of removing the Catalitic Converter?

As far as I know the only "conventional" procedure for getting rid of the
catalytic converter is to install one of the early model Island turbo
kits. But, this is expensive.

You can usually take the catalytic converter off, cut it open, and take
all the material out. After 18-20 years it will be pretty well worn out
anyway. You can then weld it back together. This is the easiest solution
and is a guaranteed-fit, provided you don't commit a major error.

You can also cut the ends off and weld them onto a straight piece of pipe,
or just weld the pipe in place instead of the cat. You will obtain
marginally better performance this way, but more exhaust noise and of
course you will need to make sure you get a pipe that fits. This can be
difficult for a do-it-yourselfer. Try to get a pipe with the same inside
diameter as the exhaust section up to the muffler. I don't happen to know
this diameter right off hand (is it 1.5"?).

A final option is to take the car to a shop and have them make you a whole
custom exhaust from the manifolds back (perhaps even including custom
headers). This can be a bit pricey, but will give the best performance.
You will have to go to a race or hot-rod shop, as most Midas style exhaust
shops will not do it. (It is technically illegal for a store, but not an
individual, to remove the catalytic converter on a street use vehicle).
If you do this, don't let them sell you an exhaust with more than 2.5"
inside diameter for a single exhaust, or 1.75" for dual exhaust.

You might also call DMC Houston and see if they might want you to "beta
test" their new headers and open exhaust. I think their design includes a
catalytic converter also, but modern cats (unlike the ones they had in
1981) do not cause appreciable exhaust restrictions.

> Please don't post to the DML on how this shouldn't be done, those
> posts have pasted thru not to long ago.

It *will* make you fail emissions, if you are subject to those in your
area.