[DML] Re: Editorial in "DeLorean World"

LovDMC12@xxxx wrote:

> I'm sure many of you have read the editorial that appeared in the latest
> issue of "DeLorean World" that pointed to this list as a possible cause for

No, I have not. I am not a member of the DOA, and do not receive
DeLorean World.

<SNIP>

> The most recent being one a few
> months back in which some stated that paying over $20000 for a DeLorean was
> crazy comes to mind. (Let me state that I remembered this thread and was not
> reminded of it by anyone with the DOA, in case anyone wants to point a finger
> at that group).

I think this being realistic. The fact is that most DeLoreans that are
for sale are not worth more than 20K. Being a owner, I would be pleased
if the car increased in value but the fact is the car is only worth what
the market demands. While it may be true that someone would have
otherwise purchased a $30K DeLorean if they were not readers of the DML,
but that new owner would quickly become a VERY unhappy owner. IMHO,
Unhappy owners do more damage to the marquee than a well informed one.

> This list can be a huge help to those of us who own
> DeLoreans and for those wanting to one day own one. We should all strive to
> portray the marque in the best possible way. Granted the cars do have their
> quirks, but I ask you what sports car doesn't?

Exactly! The car may have been designed for a rich executive type, but
the truth is that most current happy owners do not fall in to that
category. For whatever reason each of us has chosen to own a DeLorean,
I think there would be a small minority of owners who expect to have a
problem free DeLorean. Those owners are the ones that probably have
their own private mechanic, and are not even members of the DML.

> They weren't intended to be
> performance machines either. If you don't believe me, read some of the out
> of print books that contain interviews with the engineers and management at
> DMC as well as JZD himself. Let's all work together to promote these great
> cars and the man who dared to "live the dream." Let's not trash them. We
> hurt everyone who owns a DeLorean when we only point out the cars' faults and
> few of its attributes, and we do discourage some from buying a DeLorean. I
> have run into some at car shows who openly admit they've decided not to buy a
> DeLorean because of things they read on the internet. We all own or want to
> own a DeLorean for a reason, and I dare say no one bought one because they
> thought it was a piece of junk they'd spend every spare minute working on or
> putting in the shop. Let's try and concentrate on what makes this marque one
> that should be remembered for the good it tried to accomplish.

For every person that decided not to buy a DeLorean because of the
internet, there are probably 5 that did! When a potential owner has a
unbiased source of information available on the DML, and the ability to
see that it is in fact possible to be a happy DeLorean owner, they will
be more likely to purchase one. For the few people who decided not to
because of the DML, its also a good thing because they would have been a
unhappy owner.

> Brian
> VIN 1597

Thank you for mentioning this article so people like myself that are not
DOA members are still informed as to the "business as usual" attitude of
the DOA. Although the DOA may be responsible for many great things
(that I am not aware of), I think the organizations attitude towards it
member and potential members is appalling. I know of no car club that
takes on the position of a competitive business like the DOA does, not
to mention the political BS that continues to surround it. As soon as
it changes, I will be the first to send in my $60.

This message about the DOA comes at a good time, because I did not see a
reply to my message asking Bob Brandys to please publish his Dyno
article on the internet See
http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews/7800.html? - I find it odd that
when Bob was promoting the first "Dyno Day" on the DML, it was never
mentioned that the results would only be made available to DOA members.
I even considered driving from NJ to Ohio so my twin turbo could be
compared to the results of the other various modifications that were
being tested. I would have been quite upset if I did make the drive
only to find out the results were not available to me. It was not until
after the tests were done that Bob informed us that the article would be
published in DeLorean World, along with some "teasers" of information to
peek our interest. http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews/4448.html? Who
in the DOA got to Bob???

I hope you dont get too upset with my comments Bob, but I use it as a
example to show how the DOA misuses it's power. Not sharing information
like this with the entire DeLorean community is NOT in the best interest
of all DeLorean owners.... But I bet some people at the DOA think it is
in the best interest of the DOA! I guess time will tell.

pwhew!
Marc