[DML] Re: Air conditioning from R12 to R134

[DML] Re: Air conditioning from R12 to R134

It isn't really recommended. Any decent shop can still repair your R-12
system and top it off with R-12.

R-134 is not as efficient as R12, so to get the system to cool almost well
they have to over fill the system with the R-134. The higher pressures are
hard on seals. Modern vehicles use a larger compressor to make up for this.

Also, unless you remove *ALL* of the old R-12 you'll have problems as the
lubricants in the two refridgerants are incompatable. This will lead to
problems with the system in a year or two. Doing it with one of the store
bought kits is a good way to cost yourself money down the road.

All in all, just stay with the R-12 and save yourself some headaches.

Mark N
VIN 6820

At 09:33 AM 3/20/00 -0800, David Jacobs (NEC) wrote:
>Has anyone had any experience with changing the coolant for the air
conditioner from R12 to R13? I have seen kits at the auto store that claim
that it is a simple matter of just changing the coolant. However I seem to
think that there might be more involved.