[DML] Over-valued?

Daniel-Christopher McBirney believes that DeLoreans are "over-valued."
In part his theory blames it on:

> The fact is these cars are 20 yrs old and the parts
> reservoir is, lets face it slowly depleting.

This theory is invalid, since DeLorean parts are still plentiful, fairly
inexpensive, and easy to obtain.

Also, Daniel seems to have it backwards. He appears to say that as
DeLorean parts become harder to find the cars themselves will decrease
in value. As far as I know the opposite has always happened in the
collector car world. If Daniel is right then the DeLorean will be a
one-of-a-kind case. I do not believe this will happen.

However, the DeLorean market *is* unique in another aspect: when DMC
went out of business, a large number of non-enthusiasts bought DeLoreans
as investments. Anyone who has shopped for a DeLorean has probably
spoken to a few of these investment owners. Some of them know nothing
about the car. They honestly believe that air conditioning, power
windows, and cassette player were optional equipment. They think not
starting the engine in sixteen years preserves it in perfect running
condition. Many of them have never seen another DeLorean or spoken to
another owner, and probably have only a vague idea what their car is
worth.

Shameless Generalization: Anyone selling a Corvette, Porsche, or Lotus
is typically a well-informed enthusiast, while about half of the private
DeLorean sellers that I have spoken to are clueless about the car.
Remember, DOA members and DML subscribers represent a small fraction of
the DeLoreans ever made.

The fact is that DeLoreans are an excellent value right now. A $15,000
DeLorean in running condition may represent the best fun / dollar ratio
of any car in the world.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 1280, 7 years