[DML] More info on the Dodge Pace car in Reno.

[DML] More info on the Dodge Pace car in Reno.

In the past there have been a few postings about the Gull-Winged Dodge
Daytona PPG pace car which resides @ Harrah's auto museum in Reno,
Nevada. And more importantly, the relation to the D door wise. If you
have been able to get up close to the car, you can immediately notice
the uncanny resemblace to the DeLorean door design. The striker pins,
the hinges etc... The only thing differant is the torsion bars are not
"crysotwists", but are ridged steel bars. More like the type you might
find on a compact car's trunk lid. Now for the exciting part! The
company that built the car, PPG, built a 2nd gullwing pace car, but
this time it was a Renault 5 Turbo II! If you click on the following
link http://www.suninternational-usa.com/PPG-1.html there is a short
article written about the history of the Renault car, it which it is
acctually admitted that "...the gull-wing doors... use a few components
actually pirated from... the De Lorean parts bin." The biggest relation
to the Daytona is that all PPG cars have are the compact rotating
caution lights on the roofs of thier cars, which are always mounted
right above the rear windshield. And if I remember correctly, both cars
were "built" by the same man @ PPG. With all these simularites, and the
admitted connection to the DeLorean via the Renault car, it seems very
convienent for PPG to have slipped the 'adapted' design for the doors
onto the Dodge in Reno as well (which in my opinion, is the closest
copy of the DeLorean next to the Fiero). I hope that this helps clear
the air, and finally answer everyones questions! As I ferret out more
info on everything, I'll keep everyone updated.

-Robert

p.s. If you are in Reno, and would like to see the car. It's located in
room 4, right across from the 24K D!