[DML] Re: Fuel System Flush

After you remove the pump, make sure that the tank is clean and free of any
metal debris. Work in a well ventilated area.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Open the bonnet and remove the spare tire.
3. Remove the screws that attach the cover for the fuel pump. It is in the
well for the spare tire.
4. You can see the fuel pump cover and hoses. These will need to be replaced.
5. Remove the fuel pump cover and disconnect the electrical harness from the
fuel pump.
6. Disconnect the main fuel lines that connect to the pump.
7. Slowly lift out the pump and pump boot. ( have a pan to place the pump
into for safe keeping) Make sure that the lower suction hose attached to the
bottom of the pump is disconnected from the pump to avoid tearing. This hose
is $98.00 part.
8. Drain the fuel tank, and make sure to use a suitable gasoline container to
store the bad gas. (I used a kerosene pump available at any hardware store
for $5.00 to drain the tank)
9. Replace the fuel pump with a new unit. Fuel pump kits are available from
all DeLorean parts suppliers. The kits include all of the components that are
necessary.
10. Early VIN cars had a fuel baffle that was of poor design. The baffle
holds fuel in the tank when the fuel level is low. It is like a pan inside of
the tank. When the car is turning left or right with low fuel in the tank,
the fuel moves from side to side. The baffle prevents the car from stalling
out in a low fuel situation. If you have to remove the baffle, use extreme
caution. It is attached to a molded bolt on the bottom of the tank. If the
bolt breaks, replacement fuel tanks are available from the DeLorean suppliers.
11. The fuel filter should be replaced. It is located underneath the car on
the drivers side rear wheel area. You will have to remove the trailing arm
shield to gain access to the filter.
12. Inspect the condition of the fuel lines that run from the front of the
car to the rear. In a recent DeLorean World, a car caught on fire due to the
main hose rupturing and spraying fuel on the hot engine. These hoses are
18-19 years old and need to be replaced.

There are related fuel injection components that need inspection as well. The
fuel Distributor, accumulator, injectors, control pressure regulator, cold
start injector and frequency valve. Due to the sensitivity of the fuel
injection system, I have noticed on the two cars I have owned that the worst
thing for them is not driving them.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck.
Regards,
Mike