[DML] Re: Removing right door

In a message dated 1/29/00 11:07:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, dmcjoe@xxxx
writes:

<<
WARNING! This information is incorrect and could cause serious damage to the
door hinge and mounting hardware. The torsion bar must be removed before
attempting removal of the door. (workshop manual P:02:06)

Joe,I know you are set in your ways of doing things,and you go by the
workshop manual,but sometimes there are better ways and easier ways to do
things,and I have been into working on Deloreans since 1981,and I have found
thru experience that this IS THE SAFEST WAY of replacing a DOOR only,like you
said IT IS very very DANGEROUS for a inexperienced person to try to Remove
the torsion bar,than to just LEAVE the torsion bar alone and JUST remove the
door in itself,(not the torsion bar or its working that stays as set at the
factory on the car)it is NO big deal,it involves about the same amount of
time as removing a regular car door,also it DOES not and CANNOT cause ANY
kind of damage if common sense is used,the main thing in removing the door
without touching or removing the torsion bar is to have the door fully
supported in the fully open position,and only removing the (4)bolts that go
thru the swivel part of the hinge
that go into the door in itself,and NOT any bolts that hold down the hinges
to the black body or the torsion bar,NEVER touch or loosen those bolts unless
the pressure is removed from the torsion bar,also before the door is
reinstalled remove the two door lock strikers p/n 105569,so as to be able to
align the door without locking the door, reinstall after the door is aligned.

Claude
000570